Friday, December 17, 2010

Day 17 - Christmas Visits

My Dad and Catherine are visiting from Georgia for the weekend. It's so nice to have them here, I just wish they were staying longer :(. It's awesome though that they were able to come for my Grandad's eightieth birthday and so close to Christmas.

They came over to the apartment with my Grandparents for tea and coffee this afternoon. It was a nice visit and I gave my dad the coco chews that Lisa and I made last night and I gave Catherine some of the gingerbread that I made yesterday as well. After that they left for a bit to go and see Lisa.

They picked us back up shortly before six and we went to Squires for dinner with my Grandparents. After that we went back to my Grandparents for ice cream. When we were done that Grandad pulled out his old pictures. It was amazing, like looking at a piece of history. At eighty years old he still remembers who all of the people are, even some of his childhood friends that were in the pictures with him.

The coolest pictures by far were the ones of his father, my Great-Grandad, while he was in the war. The pictures are so old, yet so clear and in such good shape. My Great-Grandad fought at Dieppe and the pictures looked like something that could have been straight out of one of my old history textbooks in high school. It was awesome.

Tomorrow we're going to my Uncle Dan and Monica's for dinner to celebrate my Grandad's birthday. Then my Dad and Catherine leave on Sunday afternoon. I wish that they could stay longer :(.

Goodnight all!

1 comment:

Just Janet said...

I'm sorry they can't stay longer too. I know that you miss your dad - hugely (is that a word?).

I'm really happy that your grandad shared some of his father's history with you - I know how much you love history, and it's always good to have someone you can relate it to. I bet Grandad was pleased that you were so interested :)

Have a wonderful time at Uncle Dan's tomorrow. Give your dad a hug from me, and give our (Claudio's and mine) best wishes for a wonderful Christmas to all of your dad's family.

P.S. Claudio's Zio (Uncle) John- the "cute one" - asked how you girls were doing, at the Rosetto Club party tonight. He was disappointed that you weren't there, but I told him that you and your sister were both doing great and that you were spending time with your dad tonight.

Love you!
Mom