Saturday, April 18, 2009

Pslam 91

I've been reading my bible more lately. I used to try and pick it up every once in a while before I went to bed. I decided a year ago that I wanted to read the whole thing, I didn't get very far. The last few weeks I've been trying to read it at least once a day and I've been doing pretty well. I even find myself pulling it out on the bus on the way to work some mornings. I wish I had a copy of the Message because I sometimes find it hard to get through parts of my NIV version.

On the other hand, I like reading the beautiful way that some parts are written, like verse 4 of Psalm 91.

He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
- Psalm 91:4

I love this verse so much. A girl that I went to camp with wrote it in the front of my bible two years ago. I love that it describes God as a protector. I know that many verses in the bible do this, but not like this one. It describes God as something beautiful, welcoming and warming. Like a place that you would want to go to be protected. It describes God in a soft way, rather than a scary, powerful way.

"Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."
- Psalm 91:14 - 16

Another verse from Psalm 91 that I like. It always amazes me that no matter how much I love God, He loves me even more. He loves me, just because I love Him. Not only does He love me, but He wants to give me so many wonderful things, if I will let Him. I need to let God into my life more so that I can give Him good things and so that He can give His gifts to me in return.

I try to bring God into my daily life as much as possible, simply by being as kind as possible to people. I try to be nice to everyone I meet even if they don't deserve it. I've tried to live by this quote in my daily life:

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

I want God to do wonderful things in my life and I want to bring myself closer to Him. I want to rest under the safety of His wings.

No comments: