Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter

So I was expecting to have a pretty laid-back, uneventful Easter. It hasn't turned out that way, and I'm glad.

I woke up this morning to hear Tyler saying "Wake up baby, I think the Easter Bunny was here." I rolled over and smiled at him and was about to go back to sleep when I looked around and saw what he had done. There were chocolate kisses and eggs all over the room. He had put them on the TV and the DVD player, on the aquarium, even on the window sill. I got up and even got me a basket to put them all in.

Tyler isn't much of a romantic, but sometimes he does some really sweet things that surprise me. He knew that I wasn't doing anything for Easter with my family and that I had never really done an Easter Egg Hunt as a kid and he made it for me.

After I collected up all of the chocolate his parents called us downstairs for breakfast. Tyler and I have been together almost five years, and we have never sat down in his kitchen and had a meal with his parents and his sister. It was really special for me to sit down there with them and have a nice Easter brunch.

After all of this we went upstairs to watch a movie before I left shortly after one. Andrea came over about an hour later and I showed her all of the pictures from the morning. My mom had bought each of us a chocolate bunny and left them sitting on my pillow. She had also made us a chicken stew that was sitting on the crock pot on the counter. Andrea and I had a nice meal and a nice afternoon together before she left to go and visit her mom.

Holidays have never been a huge deal in my family and now that I'm older I'm starting to regret that. Today I realized that it doesn't have to be a big deal, it's nice to just sit back and enjoy the time you're spending with the people who mean the most to you.



1 comment:

Miss Martini said...

that was so sweet of Tyler to do that for you :) it makes me wish that Shawn was here so I could do egg hunts with him!!

I had a really nice afternoon with you :) You and I are always on the same page with things, and its nice to talk with someone who agrees and has the same views on things as I do...& the stew was very yummy :)

I know that when I have a family, I'm going to make holidays a big deal because my family never really does anything either. But you're right, as long as you're spending it with people you love, that's all that matters :)