Monday, December 10, 2012

Dog Days - John Levitt


Book - Dog Days - John Levitt
Where I got it - This book was given to me by a friend a few years ago, it was kind of 'Hey, you like books, I have a book that I'm not going to read - you can have it!'
Why I never read it before - I was reading something else at the time and just never bothered to pick it up after that.
My rating - 4/5

Review - 

This was a good book.  It had just enough fantasy and action for to like it, without feeling overwhelmed.  It's the kind of fantasy world that I can get it into.  It was very well thought-out and described in a way that you understood that magic of it very well, I like that in a fantasy book, I like things to be explained.

It also catered to the animal lover in me, one of the main storylines in the book has to do with the main character's dog (who is actually an ifrit, not a dog) and I liked that.  A lot of the practitioners (kind of their words for wizards) had ifrits (who took the forms of dogs, cats, birds etc.) and I really liked that.

The one thing that bothered me about this book were some of the main characters decisions and opinions, I didn't get them and I didn't understand them and I found that this took away from the book.  For example, Mason hates this guy in the book named Victor.  I could never understand why, Victor is nice, smart and always helps Mason out when he needed it.  The author spent a lot of time telling me how Mason and Victor  didn't like each other and didn't get along, but I could never really understand why and it irritated me. 

Ooh, another thing!  I don't know if I've mentioned this before or not, but my biggest pet peeve with books is when they are part of a series but don't say anything on the cover or in the description about it.  Sometimes I will be left with a feeling that not all of the loose ends are tied up, so I'll google the book and then find out that it is the first of a series!  Seriously, if your book is in a series, it should say 'book 1' clearly on the cover!  I hate that!!!  This book was one of those.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Louis Vuitton sac Louis Vuitton Pas Cher Louis Vuitton SacLouis Vuitton sacs